Sunday, January 22, 2012

Enter the Year of the Dragon...again

Auntie and Nephew Day 2011

It is Chinese New Years (CNY) 2011 - enter the year of the Dragon. Last year was very full of transitions for many reasons, blah blah blah (will spare the boring details). Lots of change - some good, some new and some necessary, life is like that sometimes. Mostly cleaning and purging dad's place and dealing with a life event move for him/us. Likewise I have my own life event of my own clean and purge. Some things are too precious to let go if ever.

Every year for CNY, we clean house/cook our best dishes and visit with family and friends. We put out oranges, they are good omens for coming year. We cook rice/fish/chicken (more than enough) at the end and beginning of the year. These are touchstones of good fortune. 

We give red envelopes (Li See) to the young in the family - Li See and my favorite giving sweets, to sweeten their journey. When my kids where younger I did more, as I am older I do less - but they remember more. They remember.

Journeys are rich and fruitful, even when hard. It is the richness of the journey that is the great gift.
Suz